A fun summer beer!
I wanted to make a super lemony summer beer, and this was my first time brewing all grain!
Lemon Wheat Beer
|2 lbs||White Wheat||Base Grain|
|2 lbs||2-row||Base Grain|
|0.25 lbs||Honey Wheat||Specialty Grain|
|14 g||Goldings Hops||60 minute hops|
|14 g||Lemon Drop Hops||Flameout hops|
|California Common Yeast|
- Bring 1.5 gallons of water to 160
- Add grains and stir well, let sit for 60 minutes
- Sparge with 1.5 gallons of water heated to 160
- Bring to boil and add 60 minute hops
- Boil for 60 minutes
- At flameout, add Lemondrop Hops and Lemon zest.
- Cool and add yeast.
- Ferment 2-3 weeks.
- Siphon beer into bottling bucket/keg.
This was one of the last beers before I started kegging, so I have spread out the enjoyment of this beer all summer, rather than worrying about freeing up a keg. I did however have one gusher over flow.
How is it? The lemonness varies from bottle to bottle, not sure why yet…. At its least lemony, its an ok beer. At its most lemony, its a lot of fun! Its not a very tart beer, most of the lemon is from aroma, so it goes down easy.
In short- this is a great after work beer, refreshing, not too heavy and not at all serious.