Home grown recipe for Scottish Ale.
I am getting ready to enter ‘Queen of Beers’, so I wanted to start practicing recipes. I also have been on a writing hiatus, so I can actually write about how the tasting is.
2.5 Gallons of Scottish Ale
|3 lbs||Base Grain||Feldblume Grain|
|0.25lbs||Specialty Grain||Biscuit Malt|
|0.75lbs||Specialty Grain||Caramel 40|
|0.25lbs||Specialty Grain||Honey malt|
|0.10 lbs||Specialty Grain||L120 Malt|
|15 g||Hops||Goldings 60 Minutes|
|5 g||Hops||Goldings 5 Minutes|
|Yeast||Edinburgh Scottish Ale WLP028|
- Bring 1.5 gallons of water to 165
- Add grains and stir well, let sit for 60 minutes
- Sparge with 1.5 gallons of water heated to 170
- Bring to boil and add 60 minute hops
- Boil for 60 minutes
- Add 5 g of hops with 5 minutes left on the boil
- Cool and add yeast
- Ferment 3 weeks
I don’t have great efficiency (60%) so the final beer looked and tasted good, but was thin for the style I was aiming for. Next time I will increase the base grain.